Wednesday, February 19, 2014

a new idea, I want to help.....

So,
 I have this idea, and I am going to tell you all about it.
The end program will be called working with ms dot org right?
But getting there is the problem.....
see, there is this building in town, and it is for sale
the building is old and ugly, but in a great location, AND fully accessible, for absolutely anyone. it will be gorgeous after I renovate it, but there is lots of shit to be done before we get there.
That is the end of the good news, btw.
The building has just been reduced to $475,000. That's a bunch of money, for anybody, but a super big number for  me, ok? But it is the perfect building for my idea. Check it out, a fully accessible working glass shop, and pottery shop, (and someday blown glass too) with a helper on staff, to work with people who have autoimmune disorders, like MS, and also for veterans. Hey, I know, but it's my idea, and if you are gonna dream, you might as well dream big.
There would be a gallery there as well as housing for clients who came to be rehabilitated. There would be a room where I could stay, a functional kitchen, a room for therapy (massage and acupuncture) space for yoga
accessible bathrooms, (of course, who has to pee more than an MS sufferer?) a wet room, kilns, a small computer area, ooh, an accessible garden, solar panels on the roof, and maybe in the parking lot, too.
Sound good? Yeah, sounds good to me too...the problem is getting there.
There are grants to make this all happen, it's all there, believe me, but this is going to take a bunch of energy to make happen, and I believe that I am slightly scared of realizing this dream. I know that I can do it, I know the right people, I know the guy who owns the building, hell, it could be some other building downtown, there are plenty of them empty. I  have contacts who have the cash flow, and I believe that these individuals will back me up, the question is, do I want to do it?
Now, don't get me wrong, I am not afraid of working hard. I worked as a waitress and a bar bitch for 2 + decades, most of the time 7 days a week. Double shifts, too.
the thing is, I have settled into my handicapped world, and my space is fully accessible, at least for me, and my particular  handicaps, and do I really want to do this? I know that there are people who need help, and I have the resources to help them, but, do I want to spend my spoons? I am sure most of the MS folks out there know about the spoon theory ( written by Christine Miserandino) but anyone who doesn't, go find it, read it, and you will understand about the spoons.
Anyhow, do I want to  spend my spoons on other people? Well, sadly for my fun filled studio days, the answer is yes.
Yes I want to help other people with AI disorders.
Yes, I want to help veterans.
Yes, I think that art is a beautiful therapy for people who are not able to function as they had previously,   in their new bodies, so to speak.
Yes I also think there's a of resources for people that they don't even realize are out there and the I want to help these people no matter who they are I don't even like saying autoimmune disorders and veterans because it won't be limited to just that,  anyone who has any handicaps or   disorder I want to help, anyone who wants help to work in the studio or to try to find work doing something that is similar to what I can show you how to do in a studio, I will help
yes,
 And people who don't know about the resources that are available I want to help them too, that's what the little computer room is for,  a lot of people don't get Interne or 
 they don't understand how to use it efficiently, I want to help all those people.
so, what do you think? I really want responses here, I want to hear from anyone who has an opinion or anyone who has no idea I want to hear it I want to make this happen for me but I want to make it happen for us and for my town small town it's a fantastic town with a huge art community but ever since the economy took a dive its been slow here, it's starting to pick back up but it's pretty slow. This is a healing town and I want to help people heal at least psychologically, so that their bodies can adjust to their new normal ( stole that one from the wheelchair kamikaze thanks Marc)





No comments:

Post a Comment