Wednesday, March 5, 2014

I have a MS. I was diagnosed in 2003.
 Before I wandered on to that wondrous pass I was a waitress. I was  a bartender.
 I had been a bartender and a bouncer.

 I've been anything you can imagine in the food industry.
 I worked  for my dad first,  my glamorous career as a power server started when someone didn't show up at the restaurant where  my Father was the manager.
I washed dishes, lots of them.  Dishwasher to salad girl, salad girl to bus girl, then I cooked for a while at a Denny's of all places.
 Then I graduated and got the hell out of dodge
So when I finally got out of my hometown I moved to Pittsburgh Pennsylvania  and I went to art school
 I met Mark Schwenk  in an elevator, and we hit it off right way ,but that's another story
 My whole family is in the service industry my Moms a waitress and a hostess and could be a manager if she wanted to be( but all good servers don't want to be the  manager, they want to get  out on the floor and make money) my brother's  a chef , my other brother joined the army because they told him he could cook, and why oldest  is brother is a cater- waiter in California.(also an AMAZING artist)
 I  need to mention something real  quick here; rules are not my thing,  they never have been.
 Ask anyone. really. Start with my Mom.

 But I was born to wait tables: after I worked for my dad I started working tables in Pittsburgh. After a couple jobs ( mostly with people who did not have a clue) I landed a job at a strip joint downtown and their my career as a power server began I was a waitress and a bar back but I was also pretty much the bouncer: We .will get to all those great stories another day.
Suffice to say that it was interesting and it made me what I am today, at least in part .
When I was 20 I found a great old store front on the south side of town
it was condemned and it needed someone to love it
 we needed a place to live where we wouldn't pay outrageous rent and we did love the storefront
 it was a true labor of love we both worked on the house and I tended bar, again. I was a bartender 6 or 7 days a week, lots  of doubles, went to the house to work then back to the bar.
 The neighborhood was a bit rough, but that was never an issue for us.
 I had a place to live,a job I loved, a man I loved, and a big old store for us to live in
we were on  the south side of Pittsburgh, and it was a good place to live and learn 
Best of all I began to work with clay.
 Mark built my first wheel,  I took some classes and the artist inside of me took off .
We live in Pittsburgh for a few years but we wanted  land,  room the live, room to garden, to build a little house and to create beautiful things.
Then, right at the peak of my waiting table prime, I was diagnosed with ms.That was in 2003.
lots of stories to come, and a book, too, but lets just start here.

Veronica Wilson
Glass artist extraordinaire.
frogvalleyvee@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. great start on the blog. I can't wait to read the "stories"

    ReplyDelete